History

In the spring of 1930, the Wantage Fire Department was organized at the home of Ralph Space.  The name was later changed to Beemerville Fire Department.  Two discarded locomotive wheels (fire gongs) were installed for an alarm system.  The membership consisted of nearly every member of the community.  The first fund raisers were shooting matches with box lunches sold at 20 cents, baseball games at 25 cents, dances and clam bakes.  In 1932 Ralph Space donated a 1925 Dodge Roadster and the members assembled the first fire soda acid chemical tank truck.  They purchased two acid tanks, hose, hose basket, two rear fenders and six knobby-treaded tires from Montgomery Ward for a total cost of $749.90.  Due to too much weight on single wheels they designed wooden spacers to convert it to dual wheels.  The second fire truck, a 1932 Model A Ford, was purchased from the North Haledon Fire Department for the cost of $210.00.  A pump was installed by the members, this was their first pumper.  In 1945 the Ward LaFrance was purchased. This truck is still housed in the fire house.  The construction of a fire house large enough to house the trucks was started in 1935.  The site selected was the church horse and wagon shed across from the Presbyterian Church.  The Ladies Auxiliary was formed to assist the firemen with the activities of the department in November of 1933 and later disbanded.  In August of 1944, the Ladies Auxiliary was reorganized and to this day supports the Fire Department by raising funds.  The Beemerville Fire Department is proud of their equipment, their fire house and all the efforts of their members.  Many men who organized and worked hard for this equipment and fire house are no longer with us; however these fire fighters will never be forgotten.---Written by Fred Space..

first-fire-truck

First Fire Truck